On December 2, 2015, one of Italy’s rich panoply of motorcycle history passed away just two months after celebrating his 90th birthday. Born on September 24, 1925 in Arcore, Arturo, Magni was a former MV Agusta team manager that had turned motorcycle manufacturer. Bikes were originally of little interest to Arturo. As a young boy, he was more interested in model aircraft. In 1942, he won the Italian powerless endurance title in his own self-made glider. When WW2 ended, he started working in the Gilera motorcycle factory in Arcore. His former gliding colleague was Ferruccio Gilera, the son of the company boss. In 1947, Gilera decided to re-enter the 500cc Grand Prix racing, and Magni was the one chosen to help develop his designer Pietro Remor four-cylinder race bike. And that is where the successful MV Agusta team started.
He began building street bikes with his name on them nearly 40 years ago. He was a legend to the motorcycle world. Even without his builds, he would still have been a legend. Magni was a backroom boy who was made famous by his success of the MV Agusta Grand Prix team. He was the supervisor of the small band of men responsible for Count Domenico Agusta’s two wheeled Ferraris during their 26-year dominance of Grand Prix motorcycle racing. During his time has team manager, he oversaw the entire operation of the MV Agusta’s Reparto Course. When that era came to an end, he took on the challenge of a motorcycle manufacturer.
Arturo started his own company in 1976 when MV pulled out of racing for good. He built the company with his two sons, EPM (Elaborazioni preparazioni Magni). They concentrated on producing special parts for the shaft drive four-cylinder MV Agusta 750s street bikes. EPM was also one of the world’s first suppliers of aftermarket cast aluminum wheels.